Generally, substance dependency starts with casual or recreational drug use. However, people soon discover that the amount and frequency they’re using is increasing. A major contributing factor into why addicts continue using drugs is the need to avoid unpleasant withdrawal symptoms, which only worsens as substance abuse increases in volume and frequency. Facilities in the New York, NY area address substance addiction, which is the physical or psychological dependence that forms in response to the use of legal and illegal drugs.
- Physical dependency occurs after continual drug use has disrupted the way nerve cells in the brain signal pleasure leading to the drug being the only source of pleasure-giving brain signals.
- Psychological dependency, which can take longer to establish, occurs when the addict experiences stress and anxiety at the mere thought of not being able to use drugs to feel happy or normal once more.
To address addiction successfully and comprehensively, it is very important to deal with both the physical and psychological dependence on drugs. To help stop their struggling, addicts deserve a skilled, passionate staff of individuals who have the knowledge and experience to treat addiction. Treatment programs are so successful when they offer:
- group and individual therapy
- healthy physical activities
- access to the 12-step community
- an expert and supportive aftercare staff
- beautiful, affordable living accommodations
Each and every patient’s personal needs are taken into consideration when health care professionals design tailor-made treatment programs. Though many other treatment facilities fall short, they continue to set high standards by using a variety of fact-based, healthy, affordable therapies to meet their clients’ various needs.